I hope you enjoy this blog, feel free to leave suggestions. :)

Thursday 27 March 2014

[Review] 4minute - 4minute World

 
So guys 4minute is back with their 5th mini album. It was released on March 17th 2014. It contains 5 tracks and the album runs for 17 minutes
 

1. Wait A Minute

This lyrics were done by Lim Sang Hyuk, Astro Z, Ludwig Lindell. Music was done by Lim Sang Hyuk Astro Z, Daniel Caesar and it was arranged by Lim Sang Hyuk, Astro Z, Daniel Caesar, Ludwig Lindell. I can't say I recognize any of these people but I don't take an active role at looking at these things, but I'm hoping that will change. This song isn't my favourite and on first listen I really wasn't too impressed but after a few listen I'm totally jamming out to it. The song is fun and light-hearted, and it goes well with the rest of the album and as a first track it works as it feels like a very long fun intro. Although it's repetitive I still enjoy those repeated verses. The Lala verse that first starts at 0:41 sung by Gayoon and Sohyun is perfection. I just like how fun that verse is too listen to, same again with the verse after which I think is the chours. Hyuna's wait, wait, wait a minute followed by Jiyoon's yummy yummy, cook it down, cook it down (I was convinced the lyrics here were yummy yummy, cookie dough cookie dough and I was shocked that's not what being said) but it's just fun. My other favourite part is around the 2:00 minute mark when the background beat stop and they sing in harmony and then the beat is slowly brought back in, till it goes back to the Lala verse again and I can start dancing around again like a maniac. Overall this song is meant to be fun and it does everything it's meant.

4.4/5



2. 오늘 뭐해 (Watcha Doin' Today?)

As with most KPOP albums the second track was the title track and Watcha Doin' Today produced by Brave Brothers, with the help of Elephant Kingdom and Lee Jeong Min. Brave Brothers also worked on 4minute's hit What's Your Name. Now opinions were torn on that song, I liked it but many didn't and lots of fans weren't happy about his return. I personally think this is one of their weakest music videos tracks, second only to Heart To Heart. It will become no secret that 4minute is my favourite groups but one of the main issues with 4minute is their line distribution is often ridiculous. I can happily say in this song all the members get equal lines, each getting a whole verse to themselves, even Jihyun gets a whole 4 lines, double what she usually gets. As a 4nia it was nice to be able to hear every member shine. Speaking of shinning it was so good to hear Jiyoon rapping again, that second verse is great. Although there are stand out parts, such as Hyuna's English line 'I love that. Show me the lol face' I feel like it's lacking. The chorus is fun but flat and it isn't helped by Gayoon parts afterwards which just seem boring after the chorus.

Let's not even mention the music video which was a hot mess and the person directing it was clearly on something. The video really doesn't add anything to the song and while I liked Sohyun scene at the beginning and Gayoon looking sophisticated in the dining room. The scenes with Jiyoon on the toilet and Hyuna on a strip pole make me just a little uncomfortable and I struggle to enjoy the song. If you want to watch a video I would recommend watching the practise choreography video which is linked here.

3.8/5


3. 알려 줄게 (I'll Teach You)

My favourite song on the album. The fun trend continues with this song and it's a prefect track after Whatcha Doin' Today. The song was made by ESNA and Seo Jae Woo and I hoping to hear other songs by them because it's just so good. The song is only sung by Jiyoon, Jihyun and Sohyun and at first I was worried that the song would struggle without the other two members and their track would clearly outshine this one, but that is not the case at all. It stands well on it's own and I kind of wish this was the title track. The chorus is perfection with the 'It's simple, so simple' because the song itself is simple, but that's part of it's goodness. It's easy to listen to while not being boring. My favourite thing about this song is that all the members standout. Sohyun singing is highlighted and brings me hope that Cube may be starting to give her a push for popularity I think they should be doing. Jiyoon's singing/rapping is on par again the song has a pleasant change not having any of Hyuna's rapping in it, which at times does distract from the song. Jihyun's voice is also highlighted in the bridge showing how soft and light her voice is. It contrasts nicely to Jiyoon stronger voice. The only bad part of this song, is a minor point but Jihyun's 'confused' at the start of the song really throws me, but that is only a small point


4.8/5

4. 들어와 (Come In)

This song is sung by Gayoon and Hyuna, it was made by Park Soo Seak, Park Eun Woo and SLEEPY. This is my least favourite song on the album. It's a slower song which I'm generally not a fan off. I like Gayoon's English intro which sounded perfect and her voice throughout sounds good and Hyuna rapping is also okay throughout the song. And the 'baby I'm so dangerous' line is great. While there are some nice parts of this song such as the break at around 1:37 where those electric sounds come in, really adds something interesting to the song but then the follow up goes back to being boring. I also like the part at 2:36 when a stronger beat gets introduced and you can hear the turntables in the background. It really makes the song more interesting and break up the dull pace that had been happening before that. I don't like the pants of breath that are throughout the song, as I find them annoying and un needed and I also don't think Gayoon singing meshes well with Hyuna's rapping. It's like their both waiting for their turn to sing rather then singing together and it's just overall underwhelming and not the badass song I was hoping or.

2.4/5



5. 고마워 :) (Thank You :))

This song was made with Seo Jae Woo who helped make I'll Teach You and FERDY and the both Sohyun and Hyuna helped write the lyrics to this song. This another slower song but I much prefer this too Come in. The background music is very mellow and relaxing to listen to. The chorus is sweet and everyone sounds good and the voices go well together, although Gayoon's voice stands out clearly against everyone's else. My one problem with this song is that it's nothing to memorable and I don't think it fits with the rest of the album that much. But overall it's okay.

3.2/5



Overall Score: 3.7/5

No comments:

Post a Comment